Disabilities come in three basic categories – physical, mental or emotional. With my certification in Special Education with an Emphasis on Emotional Disturbances and 4 student teaching courses away from being certified in Learning Disabilities and Cognitive Disabilities, I’ve got my knowledge base fairly good in this topic.

Additionally, I’ve served in those three kinds of classrooms for the better part of 5 years with many positive and some interesting stories. But this category is about bringing you the reader into the realm of one with disabilities. So it would help if you knew what my disabilities are.

Mine are of the physical limitation variety. Obviously, my fingers are mostly fine and so is my brain. The majority of the issues are with my ankles. The story of the sequence of them can be found in Family Matters. My three ‘gifts’ are a right ankle that is breaking down, tendons out of place in the left and an edema in the left ankle. So what the heck does that mean?

My right ankle bones are separating from the small foot bones in the area and both sets are folding in forcing my foot to collapse on itself to the outside. I can tell you this isn’t fun. It also isn’t reversible either. I have to wait until I’m 55 for a fusion of that ankle. Until then, I have to wear an immobilizing brace to extend the amount of footsteps I have with that foot.

The left ankle is more joyous with a Catch-22 double whammy. A bone in my outer left ankle keeps slipping in and out of place daily. Each time it slips out of place it ruptures a blood vessel on the inside of my foot. A compression sock is worn at nearly all times on that foot to prevent a blood clot from forming and killing me. To make it more fun, the tendons that cover the outer ankle have slipped and now are resting under the outer ankle.

Translation – The more I walk, the more likely the tendons are to rupture without a hard orthotic insert to give the foot proper structure. BUT, if I wear shoes for more than 4 hours a day, the blood leaking from the inside of my ankle will pool up and I won’t be able to wear shoes for over 2 days. Sounds like fun hunh? I’ll let you ponder how that would impact your life before I let you know how it impacts mine.

-MatureKid

0 comments



Recent Entries

Recommended Money Makers

  • iMake Moolah Guide
  • Get Paid To Blog
  • Send Earnings
  • AuctionAds
  • Amazon Associates